On a full-day trip explore the most important aspects of Mount Etna, the highest active volcano in Europe. Hike the old craters and go inside the natural lava cave. In the afternoon visit Taormina – the pearl of the Ionian Sea – a pictursque town perched on a cliff overlooking the sea.
We will admire Etna’s old, extinct craters at an altitude of 2000 meters and amazing views of the Ionian Coast, from Taormina to Catania. We will also have a chance to see a majestic Valle del Bove (Ox Valley) a huge natural amphitheater that covers almost the entire eastern flank of the volcano.
We will encounter many ancient and recent flows of solidified lava and pyroclastic material and learn about different examples of particular endemic flora along the way.
Then equipped with torches and helmets we will experience the thrill of descending into a lava cave to admire a unique spectacle literally inside the volcano.
We will stop for a short snack break, during which we will have the opportunity to taste some Sicilian delicacies.
Then we will head towards Taormina the picturesque town called also ‘the pearl of the Ionian Sea’. Here during about a two-hour free walk you will have a chance to visit the most important monuments of the town including the Greek Theatre, Cathedral, Public Gardens (Villa Comunale) and many other charming nooks of Taormina.
- Licensed hiking guide service
- Transfer from your accommodation in Catania
- Helmets & Torches for Cave Visit
- Hiking Poles
- Baby seat on request
- YOU SHOULD BRING: Sport Shoes and high socks, windproof jacket, sweatshirt, water
- NOTE: The visit to Taormina doesn’t include a city guide service. You will be free to discover the town on your own.
- The exact pick-up time (8:30 - 9:00 am) and the nearest pick-up point to your accommodation will be confirmed within 24 hours before the departure.
24 hours’ notice for a full refund.