Stroll alongside the cliffs that tower above the Potomac River, and enjoy the views of roaring waterfalls, exhilarating rock scaling adventures, and the region’s most challenging kayaking locations. During this self-driven audio tour, I’ll expose you to a few extraordinary sites tucked away on the Great Falls Park trails. Moreover, I’ll guide you to one of my preferred, unruly tracks within the national park - all navigated sequentially via GPS.
You’ll discover that Great Falls offers much more than its observation decks. I’ll guide you towards locations that are unfamiliar to mainstream tourists, such as spectacles of concealed waterfalls, the region’s premium spots for rock ascending and descending, and a trail that leads alongside the canal and through a deserted city from the colonial period. Multiple opportunities exist for you to venture off the main path and engage with the water torrents at the falls intimately. If fortune favors, you might witness a courageous kayaker testing their skills.
This tour could span for a maximum time of two hours and, while not particularly demanding, it’s sure to thrill!
- GPS-triggered audio tour
- Hands-free tour experience
- Private transportation
- Parking fees
- $20 vehicle access pass
Great Falls Park - Great Falls Park - the 3rd largest waterfalls in the United States, and one of the largest national parks immediately accessible to Washington DC. With a $20 vehicle access pass (not included in Viator package), you will have full access to the extensive Great Falls Park grounds and trails.
The Viator package includes a guided step-by-step audio tour, including a walking map that syncs to your phone’s GPS, as well as a narrated tour with over an hour of commentary about Great Falls and its hidden treasures.
To ensure an ideal self-guided tour:
Because cell phone service can be less than ideal, please download the VoiceMap app and Great Falls Tour before entering Great Falls Park grounds.
When using the VoiceMap app, please enable GPS/Location to enable the GPS triggered tour.
- Potomac River - The iconic river that runs along the famous Washington DC monuments. This river runs through Great Falls along dramatic cliffs that tourists get to hike along. This stretch of river is particularly wild, and only extremely advanced kayakers attempt to navigate this stretch of river. Luckily, this tour gives you a bird’s eye view of the kayaking heroics as river level.
- Matildaville Trail - An abandoned city once visited by the United States’ first president, George Washington. Walk through the ruins of a long forgotten piece of American history.
- Great Falls - The third largest waterfalls in the United States. A must see if you’re in the Washington DC area. You’ll have 3 different viewing platforms for these amazing waterfalls. You’ll also have views over the Mather Gorge downstream of the falls, as well as a view of hikers attempting the perilous Billy Goat Trail cliffs and Potomac River cliff rappelling, including Romeo’s Ladder and Juliet’s Balcony.
- Cell Phone is required, headphones recommended - please download the app prior to entering Great Falls Park
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure time.