Capturing LA with Foursquare Co-Founder
When I travel, I crave great photos and incredible food. My earliest travel memory is of sailing partway around the world, from India to England, with my parents when I was eight. We made lots of stops at wonderful places in between.
Los Angeles is a great city to play in, whether you're there for a few days or just one. My most memorable moment in LA was driving around at night for the first time and taking it all in. A good day in LA, especially if it's your first time, should involve a drive through some of its most famous neighborhoods. Make sure you're doing this in a convertible, preferably some sort of American muscle car. You'll want to hit Old Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and all the places that you see in the movies. Be sure to also spend some time in the sun and eat some good food. Top it all off with a night in Silver Lake. I'd stay at a hotel on Sunset Boulevard to be close to the action and to great neighborhoods.
The activities that can't be missed
1. Hike up behind the Hollywood sign. Why just see it from afar when you can get get up close and personal AND cross a hike off your list?
3. Drive up to Griffith Observatory at night. The views back into the city are just incredible and make for some good long exposure photos. While you're there, see a show at the Samuel Oschin Planetarium.
My favorite places to eat
The places you should definitely see
1. Spend a night hopping between spots in Silver Lake.
2. Spend a night watching the lights of the ferris wheel and roller coaster at Santa Monica Pier.
My favorite hidden gems
1. Dinner at Sushi Park: Go "omakase". Quite possibly one of the best sushi spots in all the land (the "land" being the U.S.A.!). You might see a famous person or two in here, but ssssh! – be cool, be cool!
2. An evening at The Doll Factory to see the L.A. Derby Dolls: Be sure to say "hello" to - and cheer on! - my friends Micki and Cris.
3. A late night at the Cha Cha Lounge, a Silver Lake favorite: cheap drinks, foosball, a photo booth, and an old vending machine full of random things.
The place I'm most excited to go next is Tanzania, to climb Kilimanjaro.