An LA Getaway with Designer Kendall Conrad
Owner of Kendall Conrad Design
When I'm traveling I'm always looking for exotic getaways where everything – the smells and sights – are truly different. When I was five, I traveled to Mexico with my parents and they took me to the bullfights in Aguascalientes. I loved the pageantry of it all. At an after party for one of the bullfights, I was introduced to the matadors which was very exciting and I remember being struck by their colorful costumes and monteras (hats).
I would spend my perfect day in LA because the city has a little bit of everything. I love the laid-back beach life in Malibu; the cool, young, urban parts of Venice; and appreciate the hipness of West Hollywood. I would stay at the Hotel Bel-Air. The gardens and the pool are so beautiful. How can you resist swans floating in a pond? So romantic!
The activities that can't be missed
1. A bike ride on the Venice bike path to Santa Monica and a hike in the Santa Monica Canyon.
2. A beach day at Point Dume or Little Dume.
3. A concert at the Hollywood Bowl.
My favorite places to eat
1. Axe: The basic bowl is a must.
2. Il Piccolino: I love the langoustines.
3. Nobu in Malibu: I always get the Spicy Toro roll, and try and sit at a table overlooking the ocean.
The places you should definitely see
1. Head to the Griffith Park Observatory for fantastic views of the city.
2. Visit the Venice Canals in Abbot Kinney.
My hidden gems are
1. Henry Duarte's new store in Downtown LA.
2. Des Kohan's store in Hollywood.
3. Moon Juice on Rose in Venice.
The place I'm most excited to go next is Marrakesh and Northern Africa.