- 4 Ratings
Tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1 in New Orleans
Visit New Orleans' famous City of the Dead, St. Louis Cemetery #1, to learn about centuries of local history. Stroll through this city of the dead to discover a different side of the Crescent City.
What You Will Do
- Take a tour of the St. Louis Cemetery #1 to learn about local burial customs and some of the city’s most notable and notorious residents
- Discover burial practices with roots that trace back to French and Spanish influence on New Orleans
- Hear how the tombs are maintained and how the architectural styles have grown and matured through the centuries
- Keep your eyes open for funerary symbolism in the cemetery and listen to tales of Storyville, the former red-light district
- Get the low-down on famous citizens, including chess genius Paul Morphy, Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau and civil rights pioneer Homer Plessy
- 1.5 hour guided tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1
Please dress in appropriate clothing for the weather, including boots, rain gear, umbrella, sunscreen, hat, water bottle and other utilities.
Under-enrolled tours will be cancelled and registrants will be offered alternative tours or refunds. Advanced booking is required.
- 4 Ratings