"A Neighborhood Together" A Castro Walking Tour
Walk through the lovely Castro neighborhood, hearing stories of triumphs and loss. Learn how residents overcame discrimination during the AIDS epidemic to change the world.
What You Will Do
- Begin the tour at the location where the AIDS Memorial Quilt was created; a quilt that was made to honor and remember those who passed from AIDS
- Stand where “gay cancer” flyers were posted to educate people about a disease with no name, which later was identified as AIDS
- Visit an amazing congregation that provided spiritual and health care services when few other religious organizations would open their doors to people dying from AIDS
- Stop at the bar that primarily served the African America community and learn how ethnic minority groups and transgender people were impacted during the AIDS epidemic
- Step inside the headquarters of one of the important AIDS service organizations in the world
- Guided tour
Even though the tour takes place outside, please don't smoke while walking on the tour. Additionally, we will obey all traffic laws meaning we will walk slowly and follow all traffic signs. The Castro is a very busy and heavy trafficked area, so I want to remain safe and work together to enjoy the tour.
The tour is wheel-chair encouraged and pets are allowed on the tour as long they are on a leash and supported by their owner/family member.
Being an SF resident, I let the weather dictate what to wear. So please check the weather forecast before joining the tour. We will slowly walk through the Castro neighborhood or roughly 7 blocks under 2 hours. Frequent stops will be made which will allow plenty of time to take photos.
As An Experienced World Traveler, I Understand Sometimes You Can’t Make It To A Tour Or Attraction, So I Allow A Partial Refund For Cancelling. You Can Cancel Anytime Through The Booking Portal Including Just Not Showing Up Without Notice.
A Partial Refund Is The Difference Between Your Total Ticket Price And Deposit. The Reason I Don’t Refund The Deposit Is I Incur Staff Time And Reservation Costs. In Addition, The Shorter Notice I Receive Keeps Me From Opening Available Spots To Others.