Family Adventures with Piers Morgan
TV Host & Dad
I am a lazy, book-reading, Burgundy-guzzling, sun-worshipper. My travel cravings are for wild, empty beaches with no tourists, and big waves crashing around. The earliest travel memory I have is going shrimping with my mother in Cornwall, England. Very very exciting when you're six years old.
I love how quiet and relaxing San Diego is - you end up just walking along the endless beaches and boardwalks, taking in the beautiful sunsets. One warning though: rent a car because you need to jump on highways to get everywhere! My favorite spot to stay in San Diego is the Grand Del Mar.
My favorite places to eat
1. Market Restaurant + Bar in Del Mar– excellent service. Make sure to enjoy the multi-course tasting dinners that have custom-designed menus.
2. Bertrand at Mister A’s – perched atop a skyscraper with stunning views and a fantastic wine list.
3. Sushi Ota – don't let the location fool you. Trade the fancy dining spots for this local favorite. Incredibly fresh seafood, whether you like it raw or cooked.
The activities not to be missed
1. National Comedy Theatre – high energy improv show.
2. Kayaking – my sons love water sports and San Diego has some great offers.
3. Hot Air Balloon Ride – enjoy complimentary champagne and a beautiful evening ride with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean.
The places you should definitely see
1. Carlsbad – ‘the Village by the Sea’, San Diego’s most family-friendly area. Off the 101 highway, you will find seven miles of accessible and surfable beaches.
2. Balboa Park – home to 15 museums, The Old Globe Theater, the San Diego Zoo, one of the world’s largest outdoor pipe organs miles of grassy hills, and a merry-go-round – just to mention a few of the highlights.
3. Sunset Cliffs (Point Loma Beaches) – best place to catch a beautiful sunset in San Diego. If you want a little adventure, drive out to the old Cabrillo Lighthouse and hike out to the tide pools by the point.
My hidden gems
1. KITCHEN 1540 at L’Auberge Del Mar - unique dining experience and great ambiance.
2. Ocean Beach – of the dozens of beaches, this one feels the most authentic.
3. Mission Hills Trails – you can go hiking, biking and horse riding in the 40 miles of trails in this hidden park. There is also camping on weekends or fishing on Lake Murray (permits needed).
The place I’m most excited to go to next is Australia, for the Ashes Cricket tournament in 2013 with my sons.