Oyster Farm Tour & Educational Experience in Oak Bluffs
Sail the calm waters of Martha's Vineyard to an oyster nursery nestled along the shores of Oak Bluff. Learn about the art of oyster farming as you pull up a cage full of oysters and sample these underwater delicacies.
What You Will Do
- Travel by boat to an oyster nursery right off the shores of Oak Bluffs for an in-depth, intimate tour of the facility
- Visit a solar or wind-powered work raft to help pull up a cage full of market oysters
- Learn how these incredible bivalves support the vibrant ecosystem as you chat with locals about aquaculture, sustainable fishing and more
- Cap off your adventure with a shucking demo and a tasting of fresh oysters plucked right from the surrounding waters
- Head to a hatchery in Martha's Vineyard to learn how they cultivate oysters, clams and mussels to help water remediation in the island's ponds and bays
- Meeting with local oyster farmers and aquaculture educators
- Tasting of oysters and clams right out of the ocean
- Shucking demonstration with the farmer's owners
- Visit to Cottage City Oyster Farm
You will travel on foot, by car and boat. Please bring rain jackets, rain or muck boots, short and long pants, flip-flops, bathing suits, walking shoes, sunscreen, bug spray and a water bottle. It can be chilly at night, so please bring layers. Tour operates in light rain and other mild weather conditions. Please provide operator with dietary requirements at time of booking. Though dietary choices and restrictions are respected, menu substitutions are not available because menus are based on the day's harvest.
Non-refundable. However, you may transfer your reservation to another person. If the operator needs to cancel the event because of inclement weather, you can either book another adventure, receive credit towards a future event, reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive a refund minus a 10% booking fee. Please email operator for any further questions.