Overnight Leather Tanning Class in Hedgesville
Learn the ins and outs of traditional leather tanning during an intensive, overnight class. Discover how Native Americans made their clothing for thousands of years.
What You Will Do
- Make your own leather using traditional methods that don't require any harsh chemicals
- Discover how Native Americans made clothing from specially tanned deer hides or buckskins for millennia
- Learn the entire process, including different tanning solutions and techniques, plus how to smoke a finished hide
- Take home your own unique creation, including an item of clothing, a shoulder bag, or a pouch
- Two-day traditional leather tanning class
- Deer hide and all tools and materials needed
- Onsite camping
This activity uses roadkill and hunter refuse hides only. This class is moderately physically demanding, and smelly.
Operator has to buck your hide several days before the class, so last minute cancellations are not possible except in the case of emergencies.
- 4 Ratings
Jason is a very patient person. He never rushes a person . He explains in detail each step. He helps you through each step. Answers any and all questions. If you take a class here , you will leave knowing how to tan a hide. I would highly recommend to anyone wanting to take a hands on class, take it here.
I’ve taken about a dozen classes at NABS. Part of the reason I keep coming back is Drev’s passion for keeping these skills alive comes through in every class. I’d done a little buckskin work before, but this class was a much deeper immersion and extremely informative, both in what to do as well as the more important (in my opinion) why things are done this way, the history behind the skill. I can’t recommend the school highly enough and look forward to going back again and again.