Shady Ladies Tour of the Metropolitan Museum
Meet the royal mistresses and courtesans who line the walls of the Metropolitan Museum on this tour with a twist. Enjoy a behind-the-canvas look at the women of the Met's most iconic pieces.
What You Will Do
- Learn about a fascinating and little-known aspect of women's history with a tour that focuses on the subject of famous paintings
- Discuss the courtesans, mistresses, and scandalous women, who served as the muses for brilliant painters of every stripe
- Uncover the stories of the women featured in famous and lesser-known works, from ancient Greek hetaeras to Sargent's Madame X
- Take a tour with a true expert, who has a deep knowledge and an ironic take on this immense art museum
- Guided tour of the Metropolitan Museum
- Art historian guide
Please arrive 15 minutes early. There are no restrooms or water fountains in the Met lobby. Children under 15 most likely will not enjoy this tour. Photography is allowed in the museum, but flash is prohibited, as is video.
Passengers may reschedule, depending on availability.
- 61 Ratings
Our guide was extraordinary - I now have a different prospective to view portraits. Thank you!
It was a great experience! Our lecturer made the tour so fun and interesting! He was smashing! Can't wait to return!
We enjoyed the stories and the walk through the museum. We were able to see parts of the building we haven't been to in so long! It was very crowded the day we were there, so the walk from one area to the next was difficult. We are looking forward to the next new tour!
The tour was great. The only thing I would change was to be able to hear more. I expected 2 hours of content. However, the tour started about 10 minutes late and finished about 10 minutes before 4. That, combined with travel time across the museum, made the tour less informative than I expected given the ticket price and 2-hour timeframe.
- Anne Marie
I would have loved to get more about the Reneissance Ladies and more time to explore. It was great but 2 hours just not enough time.
I was allowed to reschedule to a tour later that day although it's not the policy. Andrew? was so fun, eloquent and full of historical information. The tour continued when I got home because I ended up researching many interesting facts/theories he mentioned. We even had passers-bys join our tour at the end because it was so unconventional. Definitely will join more tours in the future!