Napa Valley with Devon Aoki
Model, Actress, & Mom
Foodie, Adventurer, Eco-tourist
I would spend a perfect day in Napa Valley because I am in love with the fresh air and the acres and acres of beautiful valleys with grand old oak trees and meandering paths. You can see such an array of wild birds - from geese to Poe-esque turkey vultures, egrets, swans, owls, hawks, bluebirds. John Audobon could have spent 15 years on the Ornithology in Sonoma alone! My most memorable moment here was walking the valleys of the Knights Bridge Vineyard with my son Hunter and husband in tow, picking wild blackberries and drinking the most delicious Sauvignon Blanc from Pont de Chevalier that smelled of jasmine and honeysuckle. Divine!
The activities not to be missed
1. My favorite vineyard is the Knights Bridge Winery. I drink their wines weekly!
2. Hike Mt. Saint Helena - bring a packed lunch from Dean and Deluca, as this is an all day event.
3. Visit the hot springs - soak in geo thermal pools and cover yourself from head to toe with mineral rich mud as you sweat it out.
4. Mountain bike through Oakville Grade for an awesome uphill ride - remember what goes up must come down. Grab a burger (they have veggie burgers and tuna burgers) and a milk shake at Gott's Roadside.
My favorite places to eat
My hidden gems
1. If you have kids or, in my case, a rambunctious little boy, check out the Pacific Coast Air Museum next to the Santa Rosa airport for the coolest in historic aircraft.
2. Visit the American Indian Trading Company in Calistoga - I'm obsessed with authentic American Indian bangles and chunky necklaces with large gorgeous slabs of turquoise.
3. Have the breakfast special in Healdsburg at the downtown bakery - eat casually with antique silver and flat wear!
My travel tips
You really only need to bring a weekender bag, a pair of walking shoes, a sun hat and a colorful dress or two for evenings. The pure water will leave your hair so soft that you don't even need shampoo and your skin will be glowing when you leave!
The place I'm most excited to go next is The French Laundry. (I haven't been yet, can someone please tell me how to get a table?!)