Walk This Way with Shoe Designer Jerome Rousseau
My travel cravings are for unexpected discoveries – my boyfriend and I love exploring the many ghost towns of California. They have great history and show a dark and intriguing side to previously thriving towns. My earliest travel memory is going to Gaspésie as a child with my family. It's a beautiful region of Quebec by the sea. I remember collecting shells and swimming in the water.
I would spend my perfect day in Los Angeles because this city inspires me. It has so much to offer from beautiful hikes, to off the beaten path shopping, and fantastic food. My most memorable moment here was watching the Fouth of July fireworks from the Hollywood Hills after climbing through the wilderness for two hours. I would stay at the Petit Ermitage.
The places you should definitely see
- Griffith Park Observatory: The best view of the city and the place has great history.
- Walt Disney Concert Hall: Extraordinary architecture and a beautiful venue.
- LACMA: The best curated exhibitions in the city.
The activities not to be missed
1. Hiking to the Hollywood Sign from Beechwood Canyon.
2. Wine tasting at Hollyhock House on Friday evenings on a warm summer night.
3. Pick up a copy of Secret Stairs: A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles and choose your journey. It's the best way to discover new areas of the city.
My favorite places to eat
1. Osteria La Buca: Yummy and well presented Italian food. I love their Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe.
2. Cliff’s Edge in Silverlake: Make sure you reserve a table by the huge tree on their back patio. It's great for dinner or Sunday brunch.
My hidden gems would be
1. Wombleton Records in Eagle Rock: I found obscure French records there that I couldn’t find in Paris.
2. Epic in Echo Park: They carry the collections of young and creative Los Angeles talent.
3. Pour Vous: A new French-style bar with impeccable design and equally great cocktails.
The most romantic thing you can do here is exploring secret trails in any of Los Angeles canyons and watching the sunset from the summit.