London Shakespeare in the City Walk
Shakespeare’s life North of the Thames with plaques, memorials, statues etc. Discover his friends, family, vocabulary, sexuality, and religion – while your guide delivers some Shakespeare speeches.
What You Will Do
- Treat yourself to a tour led by former professional actor, Declan McHugh, who provides expert commentary about Shakespeare and his life in London
- Visit the Blackfriars Theatre, hidden courtyards, churchyards, the locations of Shakespeare's two London houses and more
- See little-known monuments and statues dedicated to Shakespeare, dotted throughout the ancient City area.
- Hear some wonderful Shakespeare speeches professionally delivered by your guide
- Explore scenic bits of London, often hidden and unknown to visitors of the city
- 1 hour 45 minute Shakespeare walking tour of London
The tour is wheelchair accessible, however there a few places on the tour (a church, some steps) where the wheelchair might need to be carried for a few seconds.
Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. The tour involves walking only. It is not very fast-paced. There are toilet facilities in the overground part of Blackfriars underground station. Please arrive 15 minutes early or earlier if you need to use restroom facilities. Late arrivals will miss the tour so please add 15 minutes travel time to get to the meet location.
Please always check answer message on 07905 746 733 to hear of any problems and to confirm that the tour is going ahead.
- 41 Ratings
This was a really interesting and informative talk, delivered really well. The leader's passion for the subject came through really strongly. Would definitely recommend.
It was amazing to spend these two hours with Declan who is dedicated to sharing his enthusiasm about the life path of Shakespeare - including a literal path through London, which is mostly unmarked and therefore invisible. This is the point Declan is trying to make - the places associated with Shakespeare could be better signposted and celebrated in London. At present, you can see them only with your imagination if kindly aided by Declan - with quotes and storytelling that make you travel through time. Plenty of time to ask questions on this tour, and a knowledgeable guide to answer them all!
Informative, fun, brisk walk around the City.