Cultural Inspiration with Patrick Grant
My travel cravings are for mountains, coasts, and great open spaces. My earliest travel memory is being in a doctor's office in Tunisia with shelves full of pickled scorpions. The place I'm most excited to go to next is Lefkada in Greece.
I would spend my perfect day in London because it's the most culturally rich city in the world. The most romantic thing you can do here is have a picnic in Green Park on a sunny evening. I would stay at Claridges when visiting London.
The activities that can't be missed
1. Hire a Boris Bike and bike past Buckingham Palace.
2. Take a stroll along Savile Row.
3. Try a Vesper (Ian Fleming's favourite) at Duke's Hotel bar.
My favorite places to eat
1. Shrimpy's: Soft shell crab burger.
2. The Delaunay: Wieners or schnitzels.
3. Cecconi's: Steak tartare.
The places you should definitely see
1. The Palace of Westminster.
3. Tate Modern and the Wobbly Bridge.
My favorite hidden gems
1. Crate Brewery in Hackney Wick (on the canal by the 2012 Olympic Park).
2. The Wapping Project, a unique restaurant in a disused hydro power station, yards from our Studio on the Thames in old Wapping.
3. Berry Bro & Rudd (Dickensian time capsule of a wine merchant).