- 92 Ratings
Learn the Basics of Kayaking in Rochester
Master the basics of kayaking with a complete lesson where you practice avoiding sore muscles and tired backs with efficient strokes. Get hands-on experience right on the waterfront in Rochester.
What You Will Do
- Spend some time on Irondequoit Creek, a beautiful stream that flows out to an expansive bay where you can enjoy the refreshing breeze and scenic views
- Get a lesson about the different varieties of kayaks and the conditions that they're best suited to
- Learn how to carry the kayak, how to get in and out, and the proper sitting position for a comfortable and enjoyable ride
- Discover the technique for using a feathered kayak paddle and how to protect your shoulders with the paddler's box concept
- Start a new sport with the guidance you need to get going
- Kayak, lifejacket, and paddle
- Instruction and time on the water
Please arrive 15 minutes before your class to check in, make payment and fill out our waiver. Valuables can be locked in your car and keys can be hung in the shop if you don't want to bring them on the water. If you would like to take photos, recommend a waterproof case. BayCreek sells a variety of waterproof bags and cases.
BayCreek does not require payment to hold a reservation. We cancel for inclement weather, in which case you will receive a call or an email. Feel free to contact the shop if you have questions about the possibility of your activity being cancelled. If you find that you cannot make your class, please call so that our staff can adjust the schedule and reschedule you for a more convenient time.
- 92 Ratings
I had kayaked in the past but never had formal instruction. Recently I acquired a kayak & wanted to learn paddling strokes & application. I was also interested in Kayak safety as well as handling kayak from land to water. Jeff was my instructor. Right from the beginning of the course I knew my decision to learn more about kayaking was wise. Learning about the different type of kayaks was very interesting. The class was very informative & I enjoyed the hands on instruction. Fortunately, the class was small. Jeff took time to answer all our questions & was very helpful once we got in the water, critiquing & correcting our strokes. I will probably come back in the spring for a refresher.