Explore the highest active volcano in Europe on a full-day tour of Mount Etna and the Alcantara River. Visit a lava cave in safety and marvel at different volcanic landscapes, including craters and curious rock formations of Alcantara Gorges.
- We will admire its old, extinct craters at an altitude of 2000 meters and amazing views of the Ionian Coast, from Taormina to Catania. We will also have a chance to see a majestic Valle del Bove (Ox Valley) a huge natural amphitheater that covers almost the entire eastern flank of the volcano.
- We will encounter many ancient and recent flows of solidified lava and pyroclastic material and learn about different examples of particular endemic flora along the way.
- Then equipped with torches and helmets we will experience the thrill of descending into a lava tube to admire a unique spectacle literally inside the volcano
- We will stop for a short snack break, during which we will have the opportunity to taste some Sicilian delicacies.
- After that we will drive for around 45 minutes to the Park of Alcantara River (Parco Fluviale dell’Alcantara) where we will admire curious forms of basalt walls creating famous canyon called Gorges of Alcantara. We will stroll together inside the cool water and who is brave enough can even dive into the icy river!
- Licensed Hiking Guide Service
- Transfer from Catania
- Ticket for access to the Alcantara Gorges
- Helmets and Torches
- Hiking Poles
- Baby Seat on request
- Bring sport shoes and high socks, water shoes, swimming suit or shorts, light towel, windproof jacket, sweatshirt, water
- The exact pick up time (8:30 - 9:00 am) and the nearest pick up point to your accommodation will be confirmed within 24 hours before the departure.
24 hours’ notice for a full refund.