Tour a historic building, currently one of the country's largest re-purposed renovation projects. Explore an amazing brick steam tunnel while learning about the history of the former Traverse City State Hospital!
Cancellation:  No refunds for cancelled bookings
Best Price Guaranteed
- Wander through old hospital buildings full of classic beauty
- Travel through the underground steam tunnel system built in 1883
- Learn from your guide about the history of mental health in this country and the role this particular building played in that story
- Guided Historic Tour of the Village at Grand Traverse Commons, formerly the Traverse City State Hospital
- These tours require guests to be physically capable to climb up and down steep stairs and walk through low-clearance areas. Significant walking will be required. Wear weather-appropriate clothing and closed-toed shoes.
- Ages 12 & over. Under 18 requires a parent or guardian present.
Once tickets are purchased they can not be cancelled.
Mar 17, 2020
We went as a group Saturday March 14th. It was in the 30s. I felt because of the blowing wind and conditions what was talked about could have been said inside before moving outside. I would recommend this tour ONLY in the summer months. Also, you may want to consider head phones for those who want to walk it themselves. It really can be shortened. Two hours was too long.
Mar 10, 2020
very informative, great guide. I have already highly recommended to several people thru my Facebook page. thank you
Mar 9, 2020
Had hoped to see more areas of what it was like when it was in operation. Like patient rooms and treatment rooms. Tour guide was good. But two hrs of mostly listening not seeing was a bit too long in my opinion. Did learn a ton, but had different expectations going in.
Meeting location:  630 Cottageview Dr
Over 1 million bookings
for the world’s greatest activities are processed by Peek every year