- 8 Ratings
Black History & Food Tasting Tour in Memphis
Set off on a guided tour of Soulsville and downtown Memphis that combines Black History and tasty foods. Discover the untold stories of Memphis, then chow down during a tasting experience.
What You Will Do
- Get set for an eye-opening, enlightening journey through Memphis with a friendly guide leading the way
- Discover the sad past of Slave Haven, a site that documents the history of the Underground Railroad
- Head to the historic Mason Temple where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his last speech, "I've Been to the Mountaintop"
- See the balcony where Dr. King was assassinated on April 4, 1968 at the Lorraine Motel, now the National Civil Rights Museum.
- Hop off the Soul Train line to enjoy delicious and generous tastings from three authentically Memphis restaurants all a short walk from each other
- Transportation and food tastings
- Guided tour
City Tasting Tours is a walking tour. Route is under half a mile.
- 8 Ratings
I thought the tour was great! The African American history was wonderful and I really learned a lot. However, I would be willing to spend a small fee for entry into at least one of the history sites like Slave Haven. I have been to slave haven and it was fantastic and I wanted my guest to see it too. The ladies who toured with me actually thought that they were going to go in at least one of the sites. The information about the tour kind of alluded to it therefore they were a little dissapointed. You may want to consider adding at least one visit to one of the history sites that would take no longer than maybe 30-45 minutes to get through it. It really would have a made the tour a 100! The food was fantastic and I would not change a thing about that part. Thank you for your service, we truly had a good time.
Our tour guide, Kennon was most professional and passionate in his dialogue about Memphis and its history. My group was most satisfied and rate the tour superior. Christina did the second leg and coordinated a delicious tastytour. We will return to the eateries. I will also recommend the tours to my friends on Facebook.
What a wonderful way to get off the beaten path and learn black history in Memphis from a locals point of view. Queen was a very knowledgeable tour guide and Christina took us to the absolute best places to eat. Great tour experience!
I give all the credit to our tour guide, Queen. I can't wait to return!