Perfect Day: Vintage Shopping with Alice + Olivia Founder
My travel cravings are for vintage finds, beautiful landscapes and fun things to do with my two children (Eloise and Scarlet). My most memorable moment in San Francisco was a day spent wandering and exploring the city. My favorite spot to stay is the Fairmont. I love the area where the Alice + Olivia store is located on Fillmore Street, and I love finding small boutiques around the city like Torso Vintage. For something more romantic, you can watch the fog roll in across the Golden Gate Bridge during a hike through the Presidio.
The places you should definitely see
- Coit Tower - I love taking the elevator to the tippy top and pretending I'm a Hitchcock heroine.
- Haight Ashbury - always have to take a hippie-trip down the Haight and stop into another one of my favorite resale stores, The Wasteland.
- SF Conservatory of Flowers - housed in a beautiful Victorian building, I always get inspiration here for our signature floral prints. One word: orchids!
The activities not to be missed
- Catch a show at the Warfield Theater - such a cool old theater to see your favorite bands - someone is always in town!
- Shopping in Japantown - almost as good as going to Tokyo with a lot less jet lag so I can get my Japanese trinket fix.
- Go Car Tours - um, driving around in a teeny tiny Go Car down Lombard Street is a MUST! (make sure to wear your helmet!)
My favorite places to eat
1. Foreign Cinema -- love catching a cool 60's French flick here in the big atrium on a summer evening. And eating the delicious Champagne Grapefruit Granita dessert.
2. Slanted Door -- yummy, healthy, fresh, Vietnamese! Just skip the soy (I'm allergic).
3. Japanese Tea House @ Golden Gate Park -- the epitome of tranquility with a cup of green tea at the end of a busy day and maybe a mochi or two for Eloise!
My hidden gems
- Hayes Valley - I love this little strip of restaurants and stores including Fiddlesticks, a super cute kids boutique with adorable souvenirs to bring back for Scarlet and Eloise.
- Angel Island - you can get there from the Ferry Building or Tiburon across the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin. It is like having a private island all to yourself, complete with spooky abandoned military barracks and beautiful cove beaches.
- Torso Vintage near Union Square (think gowns, jewelry, fur, bags, super vintage mania!!!) and What Poppy Wants in San Anselmo. (I scored a chartreuse marabou feather jacket from the 60s there!)
The place I'm most excited to go next is Iceland. I love the idea of geothermal baths and a landscape purportedly alive with elves and trolls - Eloise keeps asking when we can go to the Blue Lagoon!