Discovery Walking Tours
- A stroll through quaint San Francisco neighborhoods
- Stops at parks and shops to explore the role of unseen organisms in creating flavors and textures
- Up-close look at gluten, microbes and bloomy rinds
- A bountiful bread-and-cheese picnic at the end
- Seven surprising stories of innovation that exemplify San Francisco as a hotbed of creative thinking
- Investigation of the science behind some of these inventions
- Discussion about how the nature of patents has evolved over time
- The city’s stellar views and historic neighborhoods
- Exploration of the unique qualities that have made San Francisco’s landscape what it is
- Explanation of the local geology and munching your way through edible seismic science activities
- A visit to stellar rock formations that draw geologists from around the world
San Francisco, California
About Discovery Walking Tours
Fueled by food, fantastic scenery, and the power of “why,” these fun, interactive walking tours make science come alive in some of the unlikeliest places. In the streets and shops of San Francisco, discover how cheese and bread are made before enjoying the results at a tasty park picnic. Visit geological wonders during an exploration of the forces that literally shaped the city’s famous hills. Or forego nature’s inventions for the human variety and uncover the notable innovations that were birthed in this city. Edible demonstrations flavor these unique outings so you’re bound to leave filled with more than knowledge.
I generally don't care for tours as they make me feel like a tourist. But Robin's "Invented in San Francisco" tour steers clear of Fisherman's Wharf—focusing instead on the many culinary and technological innovations that created San Francisco's reputation as a hotbed of creativity.